Delivery Assistant—Operations, Northeast Emergency Food Program (NEFP)
Do you want to work at a place with a very dynamic team making a huge difference in people’s lives? Do you have any of these skills – pallet jack operation, box truck driving, food handler’s card, grocery store inventory protocol, warehouse operations, a second language such as Mandarin Chinese, Russian or Spanish? Here is a job for you.
The Northeast Emergency Food Program, a program of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO), meets the urgent food needs of our Portland neighbors while working to develop community solutions to food and economic security. NEFP does this through the five-fold mission of NEFP: 1) Providing emergency food assistance two days a week, and by appointment; 2) securing access to adequate and healthy food; 3) building a more secure safety net; 4) providing job and service leadership training; and 5) working for improved job and economic opportunity. NEFP serves the emergency needs of our neighbors by operating an emergency food program, coordinating the efforts of 380 volunteers (as many as 25 in a shift) to provide 40,000 clients one million pounds of food provisions monthly in the Portland metro area, particularly the eastside.
PURPOSE: The Delivery Assistant will assist the Program Manager in the daily operations of NEFP and fulfilling the mission of NEFP.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, fax to (503) 223-7007, or mail to EMO, 245 S Bancroft St., Suite B, Portland, 97239. Position open until filled.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon as determined by the Board of Directors and as administered by the EMO President and his/her delegates.
REPORTS TO: Program Manager, Operations Manager, NEFP
DIRECT REPORTS: None
LOCATION: EMO’s Northeast Emergency Food Program site, and other sites as assigned.
CLASSIFICATION: 30 hours per week, TEMPORARY
BENEFITS: Salary range starts at $15.40 hourly. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- With the Program Manager and Operations Manager, ensure dignified and welcoming services to clients, receptive and rewarding experiences for volunteers, and efficient and equitable use of donations.
- Organize inventory stock areas prior to each delivery to ensure space for new product.
- Daily unloading of inventory from food vendors such as Oregon Food Bank.
- Properly sort and stock inventory using appropriate FIFO methods.
- Assist Special Projects Team with preparing pallets for Community Partner pick up.
- Assist Distribution Teams with preparation of pallets for transport.
- Maintain Inventory Control Logs as required.
- Maintain Sanitation and Safety Logs as required each shift.
- Maintain positive relationships and open communication with key volunteers on each shift.
- With Operations Program Manager, assist with maintaining proper functioning of NEFP facilities and equipment.
- Practice regular and effective Trauma Informed Care/Self Care protocols, as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: Have experience with and show sensitivity in multicultural/cross-cultural interactions; Be able to quickly learn the in-house database software; Be proficient at using the internet and social media.
SKILLS: Excellent oral, interpersonal and client service skills with the ability to listen to and affirm people from a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds and circumstances; Especially treat all individuals with respect and dignity; Be highly organized with a strong attention to detail; Be able to work well independently, with minimal supervision, and to balance multiple priorities.
EFFORT: Be able to make decisions in high tension settings and to adjust to fluid and occasionally seemingly chaotic situations; Be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds repeatedly, several times a day.
RESPONSIBILITY: Flexibility in scheduling is a must because the day is done when all the families have been helped, which can extend past normal hours, especially towards the end of the month and during holidays; Demonstrated ability to work independently while maintaining a close relationship with supervisors and with the broader organization.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This is a physically demanding position. Bending, reaching, lifting, pushing, and pulling are all activities that will be performed consistently throughout the day. Training to do these things properly will be provided.
Ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture, and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change; Occasional availability for evening and Sunday events.
- Warehouse experience a plus.
- Grocery store inventory (FIFO) protocols a plus.
- ServeSafe/Oregon Food Handlers Card a plus.
- Experience operating pallet jacks (manual and/or electric) a plus.
- Be able to drive a box truck; possess valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability.
- Be able to speak a second language, particularly Mandarin Chinese, Russian or Spanish.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.