Legal Assistant, SOAR Immigration Legal Services (Hillsboro)
TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, fax to (503) 223-7007, or mail to EMO, 245 S Bancroft St., Suite B, Portland, 97239. Position closes June 15.
PURPOSE: To provide administrative support for Attorneys and BIA Accredited Representatives, and reception for SOAR Immigration Legal Services Hillsboro office.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the President and his/her delegates.
REPORTS TO: Director of Immigration Legal Services.
DIRECT REPORTS: None.
LOCATION: EMO’s SOAR Immigration Legal Services Washington County program site and other sites as needed.
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt; 24 hours/week.
BENEFITS: Salary range starts at $17.45 per hour. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical, dental, disability and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- Provide administrative support to SOAR attorneys and BIA accredited representatives.
- Review completed applications to ensure that all required documents have been included.
- Provide reception for SOAR’s Immigration Legal Services Hillsboro office, including answering the phone, directing phone calls, greeting clients, and acting as a liaison between clients and other legal staff.
- Schedule client appointments.
- Receive and record client mail, file all mail, and contact all clients regarding the mail.
- Create cover letters for outgoing applications.
- Create closing letters.
- Contact clients to remind them of appointments or classes.
- Provide interpretation and translation for SOAR Legal clients.
- Maintain cleanliness of office environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish and English; Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products.
SKILLS: Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen to and affirm people from a wide variety of backgrounds and circumstances; especially to treat all individuals with respect and dignity; Ability to multi-task efficiently.
EFFORT: Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
RESPONSIBILITY: Puts forth a courteous, friendly, helpful attitude at all times when receiving office visitors, answering the phones, and working with staff and clients.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
- Two years of office experience.
- Experience working with immigrants or refugees.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.