SOAR Immigration Legal Services Paralegal
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to EMO, 245 S Bancroft St., Suite B, Portland, OR 97239; or fax to (503) 223-7007. Position closes Oct. 1, 2020.
PURPOSE: To provide administrative support for Attorneys and BIA Accredited Representatives, and provide case management for Consular Processing cases for SOAR Immigration Legal Services.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the President and his/her delegates.
REPORTS TO: SOAR Legal Director and SOAR Legal Office Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: None
LOCATION: EMO’s SOAR Legal program site, and other sites as needed.
CLASSIFICATION: Full time, non-exempt.
BENEFITS: Salary range starts at $17.00 per hour. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical , dental , disability and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- Provide administrative support to SOAR attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives.
- Support Removal Defense Attorney with case management, client communication and electronic and physical file maintenance.
- Review intake paperwork to ensure new clients are 100 percent ready before their meetings with attorneys and accredited representatives.
- Manage off-site document collection days.
- Create cover letters for outgoing applications.
- Create closing letters.
- Perform data entry and maintain grant reporting data
- Contact clients to remind them of appointments or classes.
- Provide interpretation and translation for SOAR Legal clients.
- Assist with financial administrative tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products insurability.
SKILLS: Able to communicate (oral and written) fluently in English and Spanish.
EFFORT: Ability to multi-task efficiently; strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
RESPONSIBILITY: Puts forth a courteous, friendly, helpful attitude at all times when receiving office visitors, answering the phones, and working with staff and clients.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Willingness and ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
Experience working in an immigration law office
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.