SOAR Immigration Legal Services
TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, fax to (503) 223-7007, or mail to EMO, 245 S Bancroft St., Suite B, Portland, 97239. Position closes Sept. 28.
PURPOSE: To support the local Afghan community and Afghan new arrivals with connection to immigration legal services.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the President and his/her delegates.
REPORTS TO: Director of Immigration Legal Services.
DIRECT REPORTS: None.
LOCATION: EMO’s SOAR Immigration Legal Services Portland Office.
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt, 40 hours per week.
BENEFITS: Salary range starts at $20.45 per hour. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical, dental, insurance and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- In coordination with the Director, plan and coordinate legal clinics and outreach to support new Afghan arrivals and local Afghan community members with reuniting with family.
- Support staff attorneys with coordinating legal service plan for newly arriving Afghan parolees.
- Assist with planning and implementing virtual and in person Legal Clinics.
- Conduct outreach to the Afghan communities and other organizations that serve immigrants.
- Give community presentations.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers.
- Complete monthly reports on services rendered.
- Develop and manage relationships with a broad base of constituents from targeted communities (including faith-based institutions, public officials, local government agencies, social service agencies, teachers and school leaders), and build their support.
- Provide content for SOAR Legal’s FaceBook page.
- Provide interpretation and translation, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: Ability to communicate fluently in either Pashto or Dari and English; Comfort using Zoom/online meeting platforms; Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products.
SKILLS: Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen to and affirm people from a wide variety of backgrounds and circumstances; Treat all individuals with respect and dignity; Ability to multi-task efficiently; Ability to keep up with policy changes and shift programming in a responsive manner.
EFFORT: Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to maintain calm, professional manner; Ability to take initiative to develop this new project in coordination with the Director.
RESPONSIBILITY: Puts forth a courteous, friendly, helpful attitude with staff and clients. Ability to be self-directed and work as a member of a team. Maintain a high standard of professional communication when communicating with clients and external partners.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change, as this is an evolving situation.
- Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) or two years relevant experience.
- Experience coordinating projects and meeting goals.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Experience planning events.
- Experience working at a nonprofit.
- Experience using google forms.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.