TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply below. Position open until filled.
PURPOSE: To lead the development and execution of SOAR Immigration Legal Service’s Citizenship Education program, which benefits low income and culturally diverse lawful permanent residents in Portland, Hillsboro and Hood River.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the Executive Director and their delegates.
REPORTS TO: Director of SOAR Immigration Legal Services
DIRECT REPORTS: None
LOCATION: EMO’s SOAR Immigration Legal Services program site and other sites as assigned. This position requires regular travel to Gresham, Hood River and Hillsboro.
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt, 24 hours per week
BENEFITS: Salary range starts at $20.85 per hour, with increases available for education and language skills. All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, employee assistance program and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
- Develop SOAR Legal’s Citizenship Class Curriculum.
- Supervise and recruit volunteer Citizenship Instructors.
- Maintain and update the New Americans Initiative student/client database. Track the progress of all students.
- Conduct intakes and English literacy assessments and enroll all new participants into the New Americans Initiative.
- Complete monthly reports on services rendered.
- Teach Citizenship Classes to immigrants interested in becoming U.S. Citizens.
- Assist with planning and implementing Citizenship Classes and Naturalization Clinics in Portland and Hillsboro.
- Conduct outreach to immigrant communities and other organizations that serve immigrants and give presentations on the benefits and eligibility criteria for U.S. Citizenship.
- Provide regular content for SOAR Legal’s social media.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of EMO, and maintain an understanding of the services provided by the programs and projects of EMO.
KNOWLEDGE: At least one year experience teaching ESL Classes.
SKILLS: Excellent oral and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen to and affirm people from a wide variety of backgrounds and circumstances; Especially to treat all individuals with respect and dignity; Proven proficiency using software programs for data and word processing; Access to reliable transportation.
EFFORT: Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; Ability to be self-directed and work as a member of a team.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ability to work in a respectful manner with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstances, religion, culture and sexual orientation; High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
Bachelor’s degree or two years relevant experience.
Master’s in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL)
Experience working with immigrant communities.
Experience planning events.
Experience coordinating projects and meeting goals.
Ability to communicate fluently in English and either Spanish, Somali, Russian or Arabic.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and people living with HIV are encouraged to apply.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by state and federal regulations will be observed.