This is the first step for Permanent Residents (green card holders) who want to apply for citizenship with FREE help from an immigration lawyer. Come to an event below to start the process—no appointment needed! (download English/Spanish flyer)

consultation Dates & Locations

No appointment is needed -- just show up during one of the following consultation dates/locations for a same day consultation. * Face masks are recommended *

Monday, Aug. 1, 2022, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SOAR Immigration Legal Services, 7931 NE Halsey St. Suite 310, Portland, OR 97213
Trimet: Bus 72 & 77; Max stop on NE 82th Ave.

Thursday, Aug. 11, 2022, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
M & M Marketplace, 346 SW Walnut St., Hillsboro, OR 97123
Trimet: MAX Red/Green/Blue to Hatfield Government Center; Bus 46, 47, or 48 to SE Third Transit Center

Thursday, Aug. 18, 2022, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
AFT-Oregon, 10228 SW Capitol Hwy., Portland, OR 97219
Trimet: Bus 44, SW Capitol Hwy. and Galeburn (every 30 min); Bus 43, SW Capitol Hwy. and Huber (runs limited times); Bus 12, Barbur Blvd. and Luradel (every 15 minutes all day).

To qualify for citizenship you must:
    • Be at least 18 years old.
    • Have been a lawful permanent resident for at least the last 5 years (or 3 years if married to a U.S. Citizen).
    • Have been physically present in the US for the last 2 years and 6 months (or 1.5 years if married to a U.S. Citizen).
    • Have not left the country for more than 1 year.
    • Be able to speak, read, and write conversational English (with exceptions).
    • Be able to pass a U.S. Civics and History exam (with exceptions).
    • Be a person of “good moral character.”
    • Be willing to take an oath of loyalty to the United States.
Information and documents you must bring to your
free consultation appointment:
    • Green card, Oregon ID, Passport, and SS card.
    • List of home addresses for last five years with the dates you lived there.
    • List of employer names and addresses for the last five years and dates you worked for them.
    • Dates you have been outside of the United States since becoming a permanent resident.
    • Which countries you visited.
    • Dates you were gone.
    • Spouse’s complete name, date of birth, A# (alien registration number) and employment information.
    • Children’s complete names, dates of birth, and A#s.
    • Check or money order of $725 filing fee OR Verification Letter from DHS showing you receive public benefits.

Sponsored by: AILA Oregon Chapter, SOAR Immigration Legal Services, Centro Cultural, AFT-Oregon, Adelante Mujeres, Portland Community College, and M&M Marketplace.


Portland location
7931 NE Halsey St., Ste. 302, Portland, OR 97213
office hours Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m.
phone (503) 384-2482
Caroline van der Harten, Director

Hillsboro location
862 SE Oak Street, Suite 3A
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
office hours Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
phone (503) 384-2482, ext. 200