Since 1992, Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon's SOAR Immigration Legal Services has provided culturally competent, immigration-related legal representation and education to low income refugees and immigrants in and around the Portland metro area.
Recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) as an authorized provider of immigration legal services, SOAR’s attorney-driven legal program has a staff of four attorneys and a BIA accredited representative.
SOAR Legal Staff:
Caroline van der Harten, Director/Managing Attorney
Selby Abraham, Staff Attorney, Portland
Amy Adams, Staff Attorney, Portland
Nacia Castaneda, Legal Assistant, Hillsboro
Juan Carlos Chavez de Vera, DOJ Accredited Representative
Maria Diaz, Lead Legal Assistant
Eric Dodson, Citizenship Instructor
Angie Kelly, Education Coordinator
Felipe Leon, Legal Assistant
Jessica Maravilla, Legal Assistant/Outreach Coordinator
Nate Martchenke, Legal Assistant
General Legal Services Program
Last year, SOAR Immigration Legal Services provided legal services, educational services and legal consultations to more than 2,000 people.
• Application for U.S. Citizenship
• Deportation Defense
• DACA Renewals
• Employment Authorization
• Family-based Visas
• Lawful Permanent Residency (Green Cards)
• Temporary Protected Status
• Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
SOAR Legal offers document translation and interpretation services for a fee.
Become a Client
Attend one of our Consultation Days in Portland or Hillsboro. There is a $50 fee for all consultations, unless you qualify for one of our grant funded projects. Consultations are first-come, first served. Secure your appointment at the opening time. Space is very limited. Please arrive early. Download schedule: English, Spanish.
Portland Consultation Days:
- Free Citizenship Consultations on the first Monday of each month at SOAR Immigration Legal Services (7931 NE Halsey St., Suite 302, Portland) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Cubans and Haitians Consultations every second and fourth Wednesday of each month at SOAR Immigration Legal Services (7931 NE Halsey St., Suite 302, Portland) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Consultations every second Thursday of each month at The Rosewood Community Center (16126 SE Stark St. Portland) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; every third Thursday of each month at Bridgeport United Church of Christ (621 NE 76th Ave. Portland) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and every fourth Thursday of each month at SOAR Immigration Legal Services (7931 NE Halsey St., Suite 302, Portland) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hillsboro Consultation Days are every Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the SOAR Legal Hillsboro office (862 SE Oak Street, Suite 3A, Hillsboro).
* Please note: If there is inclement weather, the SOAR Legal office follows the Portland Public Schools (“PPS”) schedule. If PPS is closed, the SOAR Legal office will be closed. If PPS has a two hour delay, the SOAR Legal office will open at 10:30 a.m. Please be sure to check the school closure schedule before traveling to our office. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
Know Your Rights
What Immigrant Families at Risk of Deportation Can Do Now:
• Download SOAR Legal's "Know Your Rights" fact sheet to help someone you know who may be at risk of deportation.
• Make a child care and family preparedness plan. For Oregon-specific information, download the Oregon Law Center's prepared packet. Spanish version. English version.
• View resources on Causa's website (Oregon's Immigrant Rights Organization).
862 SE Oak Street, Suite 3A
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
office hours Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
phone (503) 384-2482, ext. 200