Beginning June 8, we will NO LONGER see clients at Bridgeport United Church of Christ. Instead, anyone who wants to become a client or meet with staff can visit us in Suite 310 at 7931 NE Halsey St., Portland. We will be open every Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For Hillsboro Clients, please call the SOAR Legal Office at (503) 384-2482 to make an appointment.
Since 1992, Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon's SOAR Immigration Legal Services has provided culturally competent, immigration-related legal representation and education to refugees and immigrants with limited income throughout Oregon.
Recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice as an authorized provider of immigration legal services, SOAR’s attorney-driven legal program has a staff of three attorneys and a Department of Justice accredited representative.
SOAR Legal Staff:
Caroline van der Harten, Director
Amy Adams, Staff Attorney, Portland
Anna Caesar, Paralegal
Nacia Castaneda, Community Organizer
Juan Carlos Chavez de Vera, Assistant Manager/DOJ Accredited Representative
Sarah Coronado, Legal Assistant/Client Coordinator
Maria Diaz-Castillo, Lead Legal Assistant
Eric Dodson, Citizenship Instructor
Arnav Dutt, Staff Attorney
Emily Grablutz, Education Coordinator
Elena Ricardo Gomez, Legal Assistant (Hillsboro)
General Legal Services Program
Last year, SOAR Immigration Legal Services provided legal services, educational services and legal consultations to more than 2,000 people.
• Application for U.S. Citizenship
• Deportation Defense
• DACA Renewals
• Employment Authorization
• Family-based Visas
• Lawful Permanent Residency (Green Cards)
• Temporary Protected Status
• Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
SOAR Legal offers document translation and interpretation services for a fee.
Become a Client
To become a client in Portland, you may come to Suite 310 at 7931 NE Halsey St., Portland on Tuesdays or Thursdays, between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed 12 to 1 p.m. for lunch), to complete an intake and make your appointment to meet with one of our attorneys.
To become a client in Hillsboro, please call our office at (503) 384-2482 to make an appointment.
There is a $50 fee for all consultations, unless you qualify for one of our grant funded projects.
* Please note: If there is inclement weather, the SOAR Legal office follows the Portland Public Schools (“PPS”) schedule. If PPS is closed, the SOAR Legal office will be closed. If PPS has a two hour delay, the SOAR Legal office will open at 10:30 a.m. Please be sure to check the school closure schedule before traveling to our office. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
Know Your Rights
What Immigrant Families at Risk of Deportation Can Do Now:
• Download SOAR Legal's "Know Your Rights" fact sheet to help someone you know who may be at risk of deportation.
• Make a child care and family preparedness plan. For Oregon-specific information, download the Oregon Law Center's prepared packet. Spanish version. English version.
• View resources on Causa's website (Oregon's Immigrant Rights Organization).
862 SE Oak Street, Suite 3A
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
office hours Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
phone (503) 384-2482, ext. 200