Gospel in the Gorge
May 29 @ 5:00 pm - May 31 @ 11:45 am$414 – $513
Gospel in the Gorge is happening at Menucha Retreat & Conference Center, which has been welcoming guests ecumenically since 1950.
Overview: Gospel in the Gorge is a weekend immersion in gospel music culture for people who love to sing.
- Learn gospel music history from Negro spirituals to contemporary gospel songs.
- Gain vocal techniques to make your singing stronger and more soulful.
- Enrich your understanding of the instrumental side of gospel music.
- Come to understand what gospel greats mean when they talk about “embodying” gospel music.
- Emerge with a song in your heart and a deeper understanding of this uniquely American art form.
The weekend event will be headed up by Artistic Director LaRhonda Steele, who directs the Portland Interfaith Gospel Choir. She’s invited three other instructors: Terrance Kelly (Grammy winning Director of the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir), Marilyn Keller (Oregon Jazz Hall of Fame), and John Gainer (University of Oregon Gospel instructor).
“Nothing can top an in-person and in-community experience of gospel. No background needed – just the desire to go deep. And you don’t have to belong to a church at all – you just need to love to sing.” –LaRhonda Steele, Artistic Director of the Portland Interfaith Gospel Choir and of Gospel in the Gorge.