PURPOSE: To provide direct legal representation to low income and culturally diverse immigrants, primarily those in removal proceedings.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to (503) 223-7007, or mail to EMO, 0245 SW Bancroft St., Suite B, Portland, OR 97239. Open until filled.
ACCOUNTABILITY: To the mission and goals of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon (EMO) as determined by the Board of Directors, and as administered by the President and his/her delegates.
REPORTS TO: Director of Immigration Legal Services
- Provide direct legal representation to low income clients in removal proceedings before the Portland Immigration Court.
- Represent low income clients before USCIS with administrative applications on a broad range of immigration remedies. Represent clients at USCIS interviews and act as liaison between clients and USCIS in resolving administrative problems.
- Hold community presentations on immigration topics.
- Submit monthly reports on services rendered.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work within the mission, vision and ethics of Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon.
- Willingness and ability to work with people of diverse ethnicity, socio-economic circumstance, religion, culture and sexual orientation.
- Must be a lawyer in good standing with the Oregon Bar Association or a lawyer who is certified to practice federal immigration law in Oregon and meets the requirements of ORS 9.280 and the Oregon Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Attorney with at least two years of experience in immigration law.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish and English.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to maintain calm, professional manner.
- Ability to be self-directed and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive matters with confidentiality, diplomacy, and professionalism.
- Excellent time management and attention to deadlines.
- Proven proficiency using software programs for data and word processing.
WORK HOURS: Full time.
SALARY: $50,000-$53,000 per annum.
BENEFITS: All regular employees (does not include on-call or temporary) are eligible for vacation, holidays, sick leave, employee assistance program, and employee trainings. Employees in exempt positions that are at least 0.50 FTE or non-exempt positions that are 20 hours per week or more, also receive medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, per eligibility requirements.
LOCATION: Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon’s SOAR Immigration Legal Services program site and other sites as assigned.